Class 3 Racing Forums  

Go Back   Class 3 Racing Forums > Class 3 Topics > Tech Inspection

Old 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM
BlaZeus

Frame Modification Rule question

Hey there folks,
I am currently (or attempting to) build a class 3 blazer. I had a question on the frame rules. are any modifications of the frame allowed? Is boxing and plating allowed? is cutting of the frame allowed? the reason i am asking is because i ran my blaze into a ditch and the notorious steering box frame crack decided to make an appearance. Instead of trying to bend it back, weld it and box it, i was wondering if i could just cut the frame right before the steering box, and then just run tubing out from there that would connect with the rest of the front end cage and core support. thanks!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeus View Post
Hey there folks,
I am currently (or attempting to) build a class 3 blazer. I had a question on the frame rules. are any modifications of the frame allowed? Is boxing and plating allowed? is cutting of the frame allowed? the reason i am asking is because i ran my blaze into a ditch and the notorious steering box frame crack decided to make an appearance. Instead of trying to bend it back, weld it and box it, i was wondering if i could just cut the frame right before the steering box, and then just run tubing out from there that would connect with the rest of the front end cage and core support. thanks!
IMHO, you can't modify the frame as you are suggesting. Plate and weld away. The is no problem boxing the frame. Mine has been boxed the full length of the frame. If you are reworking the steering box mount, it would be a good time to cross brace the front of the frame. I didn't build my car, but the one mistake that was made was to relocate the steering box inside the frame as opposed to the stock location, which is outside. I say a mistake, because keeping the box in the stock location and converting to cross over steering will reduce the amount of bump steer compared to my set-up. I could swap it over, but it would require a redo on my very expensive stainless headers. If I built it again, I would change the box location and headers, and run 37"'s with big brakes. It's hard to say how much this could affect the performance of the car, but I'd rather use my money to race as opposed to building at the moment.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 AM
BlaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroblazer View Post
IMHO, you can't modify the frame as you are suggesting. Plate and weld away. The is no problem boxing the frame. Mine has been boxed the full length of the frame. If you are reworking the steering box mount, it would be a good time to cross brace the front of the frame. I didn't build my car, but the one mistake that was made was to relocate the steering box inside the frame as opposed to the stock location, which is outside. I say a mistake, because keeping the box in the stock location and converting to cross over steering will reduce the amount of bump steer compared to my set-up. I could swap it over, but it would require a redo on my very expensive stainless headers. If I built it again, I would change the box location and headers, and run 37"'s with big brakes. It's hard to say how much this could affect the performance of the car, but I'd rather use my money to race as opposed to building at the moment.
Awesome, Thank you for your help! I currently have a X-over steering set up which is another thing i was worried about as it is technically different than the "stock design". I was planning on mounting my steering box back relatively close to the original location but probably changing the angle at which it is mounted to get more clearance between the drag link and the engine crossmember/crank pulley. Are you running a custom steering shaft? I am an active prowler on ck5.com and have been looking into the jeep xj steering shaft mod with the u-joints to move the steering shaft out of the way for shock mounting and moving the gearbox mounting. I am running 37" tires and need to upgrade the brakes for sure! Yeah Im building this truck while getting my degree,(december, one more quarter, WOOO) so once i get a solid job be sure to see me out there racing as the money and time allows. I feel almost blessed not having a girlfriend or a family to worry about so that all my free time and money can go to building this. lol